Friday, June 14, 2013

Dear Family, I'm Not Dead!



 By: Kim Sanchez
InteRDom Correspondent, Kim, has completed three years of her Bachelor's degree in Film and Video at the Visual Arts College at the University of Toledo in Ohio. She is participating in the 2013 10-week Caribbean Summer Program. You can read more about Kim and her participation in the Correspondent Program here.

Dear Family, I'm Not Dead!

I was so nervous at the airport, but my anxiety quickly disappeared when I arrived to our apartment. It's much nicer than I imagined! We have lots of space, a full kitchen, and a balcony with a view of the ocean. I wanted to explore immediately!

The first weekend the other interns and I ventured out into the neighborhood. We picked up groceries from the supermarket, ate some delicious Dominican food, and hung out at El Malecon by the waterfront. At night we had some fun learning how to order from el colmado, a local carry-out that delivers anything (a much needed service back home).

There was a little bit of culture shock. For example, despite the heat many Dominicans prefer not to wear shorts (Ohioans wear shorts even in cold weather). Also, everyone speaks very fast here and I'm trying my best to keep up. However, I can feel myself getting better every day. I'm quickly adjusting with the help of the InteRDom staff and other students.

To kick off our program, we had a week long orientation that included workshops, tours, and a public transportation tutorial (It's really easy to get around here). They gave us the "low down" on some local customs and also prepped us for meeting our employers.

For my internship I will create many videos for our activities, including our first excursion to Zona Colonial, the first colonial city in the New World. I have access to use the multimedia facility (sweet!) and I even have my own cubicle (which I'm very proud of).

Anyway, I want to let you know that I'm alive and well here in Santo Domingo. I've made friends and I'm very comfortable (although I should have packed more bug repellent).

I miss you all and I hope someday I can bring you to this beautiful place!

Love,
Kim

P.S.

Please enjoy this video post-card from a festival that a few girls and I attended!



No comments: