Thursday, May 30, 2013

Goodbye Home, and Hello Caribbean Ocean!

By: Carlos Gonzalez

 

InteRDom Correspondent, Carlos, has completed three years of his Bachelor's degree in Political Science at St. Peter's University in New Jersey. He is participating in the 2013 10-week Caribbean Summer Program. You can read more about Carlos and his participation in the Correspondent Program here.

The semester is over and the summer has finally begun. The Dominican Republic is only a few weeks away. I am ready and excited to embark on this new journey for 10 weeks away from friends and family, to meet new friends. There is much to look forward to in these ten weeks -- wonderful food, weather, culture and a new internship.

I will be working at a local university as a research assistant to work on Lake Enriquillo. Lake Enriquillo has been flooding the infrastructure and homes of the people in neighboring towns.  This will give me the opportunity to apply my knowledge of political science and interest in environmental studies. I will hopefully find the damages and the issues that these towns are facing. I will also meet a group of professionals and students that are interested in similar projects.

Now that I have bought my ticket for the summer and I will be working in an environment that I believe will be an unforgettable opportunity for my working career, I only hope and pray for one of the most fulfilling experiences of my life. As I said before, I am ready and excited!  

No comments: